NBC: G-20 Summit in Hangzhou: City Gets Makeover for World Leaders
The multi-million-dollar makeover is only one way that Chinese officials aim to ensure the city is remembered precisely like that
Workers clad bright orange suits spent the week scrubbing the streets spotless in this city of more than 8 million people ahead of the looming G-20 summit.
Building facades have also been spruced up, roads newly paved and piles of garbage removed from sidewalks in areas that world leaders and other foreign visitors might never even see.
Colorful "Welcome to Hangzhou" posters are plastered across downtown and billboard signs remind residents that their home is a city of "warm hospitality" that is "civilized and polite."
The multi-million-dollar makeover is only one way that Chinese officials aim to ensure the city is remembered precisely like that.
The government implemented tighter security measures at airports, train stations, ports and on highways leading into Hangzhou — as part of new anti-terror regulations for large events that were introduced in January.
As President Barack Obama arrived in Hangzhou Saturday for his 10th G-20 meeting and 11th visit to Asia since taking office in 2009, the Chinese government hopes to highlight its standing as a global economic power.
Read the whole article here
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars