NATO members continue increasing defense budget
It has declined since cold war end in 2015, - Stoltenberg
NATO states-members will continue to increase the defense budget that was shrinking since the end of the "cold war" until 2015, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg reports (Interfax-Ukraine).
"After the Cold the defense budget in Europe and Canada reduced severely. We have noticed a slight increase in allocations for defense in 2015. Our forecast for 2016 is the growth of such deductions", Jens Stoltenberg said at a press conference on Monday in Brussels.
"These are just forecasts, but they inspire confidence that changes are coming, and the annual level will be about 1.5%. It is the increase in the amount of about $ 3 billion. 20 NATO members are planning to further increase these contributions", the NATO Secretary General added.
He described the defense budget growth as progress, and called it the right way of development.
"This is progress. After many years we have embarked on the right path", Jens Stoltenberg concluded.
Russia bombers fly near Iceland passenger airliner 27 September, 09:47
NATO Secretary General: Those responsible for MH17 tragedy should be punished 29 September, 08:44
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
Sweden: Russia aggravates situation in the region 11 October, 12:38
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas