MEP: English might be excluded from list of official EU languages
Brussels could make such decision due to the UK’s withdrawal from the EU
Danuta Hübner, member of Constitutional Affairs Committee at the European Parliament, said this at Tuesday briefing (Politico).
There are 24 official languages in the EU, including English. Every member country has the right to submit a language as the official one; English was submitted by the United Kingdom.
Now that the Great Britain decided to withdraw from the EU, there will be no more official representatives of English language in the EU, as Malta and Ireland submitted also Maltese and Gaelic languages as their official ones, respectively.
‘No UK, no English language,’ Hübner said, adding that this language is one of the most extensively used ones in the EU institutions. She stressed all EU member countries will need to give their consent on the matter.
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
Steinmeier: EU might fall 24 October, 10:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas