Luxembourg urges to exclude Hungary from EU
Foreign Minister says Hungary’s exclusion is "only way to preserve unity and values of European Union"
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Luxembourg Jean Asselborn has demanded the exclusion of Hungary from the European Union. The cause of resentment was the decision of the Hungarian authorities to build a second fence from migrants at the border. Die Welt reports this.
"We cannot accept that the fundamental values of the European Union are currently massively violated. Who builds protections against war refugees, or violates the freedom of the press and independence of the judicial system, should be excluded from the EU temporarily or, if necessary, for good", the politician said.
At the same time Asselborn criticized the fence at the Hungarian border to discourage illegal border crossings by refugees. The EU cannot tolerate "such misconduct" on the part of Hungary, the minister said. In his view, the exclusion of the country from the EU would be "the only way to preserve the unity and values of the European Union".
Note that according to the Lisbon Treaty the privileges of the EU states members may be suspended if the European Council unanimously votes in favor of the exception.
Recall, Hungary will build a second fence in the south of the country for the protection from migrants. The fence will be built along the existing one.
The first barbed wire fence from the refugees in Hungary was built last year along the border with Serbia and Croatia.
Add that Hungary has decided to install a second fence on the border due to the large influx of refugees. As of June at the beginning of 2016 about 18 thousand refugees crossed the Hungarian border. There were about 391 IDPs in 2015. Due to its policy on migrants Hungary has repeatedly met criticism from the EU.
Source: Die Welt
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars