Lutsenko’s speech in Parliament: Top 5 quotes
The key candidate for Ukraine’s Prosecutor General delivered the speech before Ukrainian MPs
I go for this office to bring new people there, the ones with the background in the judiciary, who have never worked there before. I believe that’s the only way to turn this “burial ground” into the true defender of the state and its people. I hope to find there some honest professionals who managed to stay in their offices under all previous governments.
I think you do remember how wives of high-ranked police officers made sandwiches during the Euromaidan; how workers of the Prosecutor’s Office wore civilian clothes and came there to support protesters? I believe they’re still there, in that office. We will be able to gather enough new people and form a team to serve the law and the people. With the aid of these people, I hope to work on cases against top-rank officials who haven’t been in too much of a hurry in assisting the court. I am about to re-open cases of incumbent and former Ukrainian officials.
Prosecutor General’s Office cannot put a person into jail. Only the court has the authority to decide that. I will not avenge anything. It all looks a bit different to me: you should pick friends so that you don’t have to put them into jail. I have no list of convicts I’m going to put behind the bar or something.
Let me say this to those thinking that the Prosecutor General should have higher judicial education: dear Yulia Volodymyrivna (Tymoshenko, - 112 International), you and me were put behind the bars by the people with the judicial background. Proper education is not the guarantee of Prosecutor’s Office working for public welfare.
Mr. Poroshenko and me came to Odesa on the second day after those tragic events (the street riots of May 2, 2014). I remember the eyes of the locals… The city of sun, humor and human warmth was badly shocked in that moment. I guess the investigation should be carried out properly. I don’t know all the details so far, but I’ll check on the investigation’s status personally.
Historian: Ukrainian nationalists never took part in Holocaust 27 September, 20:43
Poroshenko urges Parliament to vote for dismissal of oath-breaking judges 28 September, 07:45
Parliamentary hearing timed to Babi Yar’s 75th anniversary underway in Kyiv 27 September, 16:38
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case