Lifting sanctions from Russia possible in a few months, - Kerry
Such could be the result of the full implementation of the Minsk deal, the U.S. Secretary of State said
There is a chance to implement Minsk deal in the coming months and ultimately lift the sanctions on Russia. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said this January 22. “Earlier this week, here in Davos, the Vice-President of the United States, Joseph Biden, and me had a meeting with Petro Poroshenko to ensure complete implementation of Minsk deal. I’m sure that with the help of efforts and legitimate ways from both sides it is possible to implement Minsk deal in the coming months and lift the anti-Russia sanctions”, - said Kerry at the World Economic Forum in Davos.
One of the items of the Minsk deal is the amendment to the Constitution of Ukraine, concerning decentralization. On 31 August, 2015 the Ukrainian Parliament adopted the amendments to the Constitution concerning decentralization with 265 votes on a first reading. In order to adopt the amendment on a second reading not less than 300 votes are necessary. However, a number of MPs filed submission to the Constitutional Court of Ukraine to clarify the article on the amendment to the Constitution “on the next session”.
The issue needs to be resolved, because since the Parliament must adopt the amendment to the Constitution on two readings, the MPs should vote before February 2. It has been mentioned in the mass media, with reference to a number of MPs, that such a voting is planned on January 28. There is allegedly not enough votes to adopt the amendment.
Representative of Ukraine in the bilateral contact group, second President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma informed that Russia-backed gunmen do not comply with the terms of Minsk deal.
“Unfortunately, recommendations of the bilateral contact group – and I emphasize “recommendations”, since we are not the authority, whose decisions are obligatory for fulfillment – are not followed. Without ceasefire and withdrawal of troops and the proof of such withdrawal by OSCE, without regaining of our control of the Ukrainian-Russian border, we eliminate a possibility of elections and amendment to the Constitution, let alone the solving of humanitarian, economic issues and mine clearance”, Kuchma said.
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine 23 October, 18:06
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars