Kremlin doubts success of Normandy four meeting in Berlin
Peskov added that "no one refuses the format"
Talking about a positive result from the Berlin meeting of the Normandy four (Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France) is hard. This was stated by Russia’s President Press Secretary Dmitriy Peskov, RIA Novosti reports.
"As you know, there were quite intensive expert talks in Minsk. Unfortunately, they haven’t managed to reach some kind of positive result. Nonetheless, considering that a year has passed since the last meeting in Paris, it was considered appropriate to meet to discuss where we are now, because the expert negotiations have not achieved tangible results. This requires additional attention from the heads of state", Peskov said.
He added that "no one denies the format of the Minsk agreements, so in this case the goal is to see where we are and ascertain what prevents us to fulfill the Minsk agreements".
At the same time, the French Foreign Ministry said that the aim of the summit in Normandy format is to force Ukraine to move forward on the issue of the special status of the Donbas region.
Note that Poroshenko has repeatedly stated that Kyiv will not advance in the political process until the execution of the security package.
The Head of State said he was not very optimistic about the summit.
This is the first meeting of the Normandy four this year. The previous time the leaders met in Paris on October 2, 2015.
Presidential Administration said that it is not expected to sign any documents at the meeting.
Playing disengagement 12 October, 20:30
Time and place of next Normandy Four meeting irrelevant 10 October, 13:31
Hug: Russian militants avoid disarming mines in Petrivske 28 September, 14:01
Donbas conflict: Butivka coal mine shelled from mortars 25 September, 10:15
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode
- POLITICS14:47Ukraine summons Syrian diplomat to protest against recognition of Crimea’s occupation
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:01No fatalities among Ukrainian servicemen in Donbas over last 24 hours
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain