Klimkin: Safety guarantees are part of effective nuclear disarmament
Ukraine’s Foreign Minister delivered speech at the UN Security Council’s session, urging the nuclear states to stay committed to their guarantees to the non-nuclear ones
The nuclear states should keep up to their commitments when it comes to safety guarantees to the non-nuclear countries; this is one of the basic elements of strengthening the global regime of nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation of nuclear weaponry across the globe. Pavlo Klimkin, Ukraine’s foreign minister, said this during his speech at the UN Security Council’s session in New York.
The session was devoted to the approval of the resolution on the 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, the ministry’s press service reports.
The head of Ukraine’s foreign office reminded the Council’s members it’s important that they adhere to their respective commitments in this area. He also turned their attention to the fact that Russia, one the post powerful nuclear countries, rudely violates provisions of the 1994 Budapest memorandum. In particular, it foresees that Ukraine’s independence, sovereignty and territorial borders should be duly respected; another provision of the document says that all signatories of the treaty should abandon any sort of threats or the use of brutal force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine.
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain