KGB is listening: Amnesty International tells about surveillance in Belarus
Amnesty International issues a report "It’s Enough for people to feel it exists"
A report by international civil society advocacy group Amnesty International, dedicated to interception of civil activists and representative of opposition in Belarus, was published today. It follows from the document that there is a legal and active system of interception of information from telephones and computers called COMP. Amnesty International underline that a number of famous telecommunication foreign-funded companies assist authorities in their surveillance activity. These are Russian MTC, Austrian Telekom Austria and Turkish Turkcell.
The report “It’s Enough for people to feel it exists. Civil society, Secrecy and Surveillance in Belarus”, prepared by Amnesty International (AI), rests on more than 50 interviews. Experts have interviewed civil society actors and members of opposition political forces. All interviews are anonymous as those talking to AI were apprehensive for their safety.
Activists, journalists, members of political parties were sure to be constantly monitored by special services and the Committee of State Security (KGB). According to one of the activists, the fear to come to the attention of special services leads to “paranoid relations inside the society. Another interviewee called a cell-phone “police in the pocket”.
You can download the report directly from the web-site of Amnesty International
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case