IOC President denies contacts with Putin over doping scandal
Thomas Bach refused to blame Russian leadership for support of doping use program
International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach claimed the organization is in no position to ‘sanction heads of state in any given country’ (insidethegames.biz). He said so after being questioned by the press as to why he has not criticised Russian officials, including Vladimir Putin, who have denied they are responsible for state-sponsored doping.
Officials from the level of President Putin downwards have repeatedly dismissed the conclusions of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) report and claimed them to be "politically motivated".
Bach claimed a sign of the tough stance adopted by the IOC was that Sports Ministry officials had been barred from attending Rio 2016, including Minister Vitaly Mutko.
‘It is the right of everyone to express their opinions. What is important for the IOC is that we want to shed full light on all the allegations. The IOC is not in a position to sanction heads of state in any given country,’ he stressed.
Russian politicians, sporting officials, athletes and media have almost universally dismissed the McLaren Report since its publication. Mutko has remained in his position, despite being effectively named as the mastermind of the scheme along with his deputy, Yuri Nagornykh.
Bach has been previously criticised for not responding to this.
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars