Hollande: Sanctions against Russia stay until Ukraine’s territorial integrity restored
Russia should exert pressure on militants in Donbas to conduct free and transparent elections in the region, French leader said
The EU sanctions against Russia will remain in effect until Ukraine is able to regain control over its eastern borders. French President Francois Hollande said this was the ultimate purpose of the Minsk II peace deal (Ukrinform).
“France is calling for the full implementation of the Minsk agreements by all parties. And then we must move towards the final goal – resuming control by Ukraine over the Ukrainian-Russian border and lifting European sanctions against Russia,” Hollande said at a meeting at the Elysee Palace.
The French President added that Russia should exert pressure on separatists to hold “undeniable” elections in eastern Ukraine.
U.S. President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel agreed that the Minsk agreements must be fulfilled by all parties as soon as possible. The officials discussed this in a phone call on Thursday, January 21, the official website of the White House reports.
“On Ukraine, the President and the Chancellor underscored their firm commitment to accelerate the full implementation of the Minsk agreements by all sides,” reads the report.
Besides, both leaders discussed the situation in the European Union and the upcoming Syria donors conference in London on February 4.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Negotiations in Normandy format resumed 20 October, 00:47
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars