Google rolled back yesterday changes in the names of Crimean cities on Google Maps
Google has removed new names of the Crimean cities, implied by the Ukrainian law on decommunization, from Google Maps
Google has removed new names of the Crimean cities, implied by the Ukrainian law on decommunization, from Google Maps. Now users can see those names which exist de facto.
See also: Google Maps decomunized Crimea
On July 27, Google Maps service renamed a number of settlements on the territory of the Crimea in Ukrainian and Russian versions of the service. Namely, the village of Kirov was renamed to Islyam-Terek, Krasnogvardeiskoe - to Kurman and the Soviet settlement became Ichki. All these names were in Ukrainian law on decommunization. At the same time the names are renamed selectively for Ukrainian users of Google Maps. For instance, Artemovsk is called Bakhmutov on Google Maps, and Dnepropetrovsk and Dneprodzerzhinsk are left with the same names.
Earlier, Russian Minister of Communications Nikolai Nikiforov said that if the company treats Russian legislation and the names of Russian cities and towns carelessly, "this won't allow it to conduct business effectively in the territory of Russia." The Head of the Crimea Sergey Aksenov also said that Google Maps service is "misleading users by palm them off propaganda product instead of real terrain maps."
Previously, Google stated that they are "actively working in order to return former names to Russian Google Maps" and ill comment on the situation later.
Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia 20 October, 16:30
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
In occupied Crimea reported an increase in tourist traffic 15 October, 15:32
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels