Google Maps decomunized Crimea
Now fears rise that Russia may block the resource
Search service Google Maps changed the names of the settlements in annexed Crimea in accordance with the decision of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine on renaming of some regions, towns and villages of the peninsula.
On May 12 the Verkhovna Rada renamed 75 towns and 5 districts in Crimea within the decommunization law. Most of the new names have Crimean Tatar origin.
New names on Google Maps can be seen by users not only in Ukraine, but also in Russia and the Crimea.
Users of social networks have already expressed fears that Russia may block the resource, which "violates the territorial integrity."
Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine has officially announced February 20, 2014 the beginning of the temporary occupation of the Crimea and Sevastopol Russia. The President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko has signed the relevant law on October 7, 2015.
International organizations have recognized the occupation and annexation of Crimea as illegal and condemned Russia's actions. Western countries have introduced a series of economic sanctions. Russia denies the occupation of the peninsula and calls it a "restoration of historical justice."
Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia 20 October, 16:30
Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday 24 October, 09:28
- POLITICS10:13Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- POLITICS10:02Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
- UA & EU08:39Klimkin visits Netherlands to promote EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas