German Foreign Ministry threatens Turkey with exit from mission to fight ISIS due Incirlik base
Steinmeier warned Turkey with refusal to participate in mission to fight with Islamic State if Ankara continues to impede access to Incirlik base
German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier indirectly threatened Turkey with refusal of further participation of the Bundeswehr in the international mission to combat extremists’ terrorist organization Islamic State, liga.net reports.
This will happen if the authorities in Ankara continue to impede the access of the Bundestag deputies at the Incirlik military base, where German planes are also based.
"When the Bundestag will consider extending the mandate of the placement of German soldiers in Turkey, members of the relevant committees should be able to visit the base", Foreign Minister said.
Steinmeier also said that he will try to persuade the Turkish authorities to allow parliamentarians to visit the base. However, he rejected the demand of his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu, who said that the deputies of the Bundestag will be allowed to visit Incirlik only if the German government distances itself from the resolution of Parliament, condemning the Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Empire.
"I do not see a direct connection between these conditions and already said it to Turkish colleagues", said Steinmeier.
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars