French MP Thierry Mariani dismissed from PACE post for his visit to occupied Crimea
“Removal of Thierry Mariani from vice-presidency in the group EPP of PACE is logical result of his irresponsible behavior,” Ukraine's Ambassador to France stated
French MP Thierry Mariani was dismissed from the post of vice-president of the European People's Party in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) in connection with his unauthorized visit to Crimea annexed by Russia, Ukrinform reported.
French politician was informed about such decision via letter. His statements and visit to occupied peninsula repeatedly raised concerns among members of his party group, as stated by Ukrinform.
In August PACE Bureau during its meeting in Paris discussed unauthorized visit of French deputies to Crimea at Russian cost and the conflict situation that aroused in this regard, following the case was passed to the procedural committee of the Assembly. Then the Ukrainian side has put forward a strong arguments on violation of existing rules in PACE, in particular, it drew attention to the fact of French delegation deliberately disregarded the provisions of the code of conduct for members of the Assembly.
In this regard, Ukraine’s Ambassador to France Oleh Shamshur expressed opinion that such decision of Mariani's dismissal was a logical consequence of his behavior.
“Removal of Thierry Mariani from vice-presidency in the group EPP of PACE is the logical result of his irresponsible behavior,” the Ambassador wrote on Twitter.
As it was reported before, on July 23-24, a delegation of French MPs headed by Thierry Mariani visited Crimea and met with the self-proclaimed head of the so-called republic of Crimea despite the sanctions of the European Union and the requirement of obtaining a special authorization from Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The internationally recognized Ukrainian territory of Crimea was illegally annexed by the Russian Federation in March 2014.
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
Ukraine banned all Russian payment systems in Ukraine 18 October, 14:35
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case