Foreign Ministry: Kyiv considers Estonian scenario of Savchenko’s release
It means Ukraine could grant amnesty to detained Russian citizens, instead Russia would do the same for Savchenko
Ukraine considers an option to release fighter pilot Nadiya Savchenko from detention in Russia, where she is to stay until April 16, as the Russian court ruled earlier. According to Deputy Foreign Minister Vadym Prystaiko, Ukraine is interested in the so-called Estonian scenario, under which Ukraine and Russia could exchange citizens who were detained but later granted amnesty in respective countries.
The diplomat noted that in order to use the option of Savchenko’s detention in Ukraine, Kyiv would have to recognize the guilty verdict pronounced by the Russian court, which is a sort of a trap for Ukraine.
“This is why we could use the so-called “Estonian option”, when Putin granted amnesty to an Estonian citizen in Russia; and Estonia simultaneously did the same for a Russian citizen. The sides exchanged citizens who were considered free people; and there was no need to recognize the sentences. It seems to me it would be the best if Ukraine and Russia used this option”, Prystaiko said.
Earlier today, the United States Embassy in Russia said Washingotn is not interested in exchanging detained Russian citizens for Savchenko.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov 20 October, 20:01
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars