Forbes: Trump, Deferring To Putin, Deleted GOP Platform's Call To Supply Ukraine With Lethal Defensive Weapons
The new Republican platform would not pledge lethal defensive weapons Ukraine has been pleading for from the United States
According to multiple accounts, the Trump campaign has successfully worked behind the scenes to make sure the new Republican platform would not pledge the lethal defensive weapons Ukraine has been pleading for from the United States. Trump’s forces have tabled a platform amendment that would call for maintaining or increasing sanctions against Russia, and have substituted “appropriate assistance” for “providing lethal defensive weapons” to Ukraine’s military. Removing sanctions and blocking lethal military assistance to Ukraine are the two primary goals of Putin’s foreign policy. The Republican platform is handing those goals to Putin on a golden platter.
Despite Congressional approval, the Obama administration has not supplied Ukraine with lethal defensive weapons on the foolish grounds that Ukraine cannot defeat the Russian military and that the weapons could fall into the wrong hands. Of course, Ukraine’s army cannot defeat Russia but an upgraded military could impose losses on Russia that would discourage further incursions. Russia’s war against Ukraine is a rare cases where weapons will definitely not fall into the wrong hands. The Ukrainian people, starting from zero, have built an army that has limited Russian occupation to parts of the Donbas region. Unlike Syria or Libya, we know who the good guys are. Ukraine will not hand over modern communications gear and antitank weapons to Russia or third parties. They need them for their own national survival.
In an earlier essay, I gave nine reasons why fellow conservatives should vote for Donald Trump, among them Supreme Court nominations, Clinton’s propensity to lie, the free-rider NATO problem, Trump’s “America first” versus Hillary’s “citizen of the world” foreign policy, and his understanding of America’s disenchantment with politics as usual. My support was not without reservations. As someone who follows the Kremlin’s perfidy closely, Trump’s offhand praise of Putin and his apparent lack of concern over the Crimean annexation, the invasion of Ukraine, and Putin’s salvaging of the Assad regime through military intervention prompted me to write Seven Warnings to Donald Trump about Vladimir Putin, among them:
Putin started (without cause) a war against Ukraine that has killed more than 10,000, wounded 25,000, and misplaced one and a half million. So far Putin has suffered no consequences, although he, for the first time in postwar history, altered national boundaries by force.
See also: Trump: Voting for Brexit ‘fantastic’
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars