Far-right party renaissance during Ukraine's local elections
Svoboda party, after its political agony, gains new electoral areas
Regular local elections, held on October 25, indicated the uprising level of support of far right and nationalistic party Svoboda (leader – Oleh Tyahnybok). Surprisingly, the far-right force embraces new electoral areas within the country and new cleavages take place. According to figures of exit polls, parallel calculations, and official reports, there is the next picture for Svoboda party in regions of Central Ukraine: 6.2% of votes in Zhytomyr region, 8% in Sumy, 8% in Kyiv region and near 11% - in Kyiv city, 7% in Cherkasy, and 5% in Kirovohrad. For comparison, in Lviv region, basic for the nationalists, representatives of Svoboda received 13%.
Traditional electoral base of the party is Western Ukraine, more precisely – Lviv, Ternopil, and Ivano-Frankivsk regions, consisting so-called Halychyna. Electoral success of Svoboda and its reaching local councils in regions of Central Ukraine demonstrates that the political force is restoring its former influence.
Popularity of Svoboda rises despite of scandals than occurred at the party organization after the incident on August 31, which took place on protests near the Verkhovna Rada against passing amendments to the Constitution. Then, someone from the mob, gathered by nationalistic parties including Svoboda, threw a combat grenade on the law enforces, causing four soldiers of the National Guard to death and more than hundred – to different wounds. Interior Minister Arsen Avakov has accused Svoboda and its leader Tyahnybok in involvement into this crime. Several party members were arrested.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case