Expert: There’s a reason why Trump wouldn’t meet Poroshenko
The Republican candidate fights for presidency, so he won’t be meeting with any foreign officials, - Taras Berezovets, Ukraine’s political scientist
Trump has planned working visits to Pennsylvania and Ohio. These states are famous for their support of Democrats, however, there is a place for surprise there. So today, Trump fights for the votes of those who still haven’t made up their mind.
Of course, he won’t be spending any time for meetings with anyone, including the Ukrainian president. Clinton, on the other hand, pays more attention to the international vector; she planned to visit the UN General Assembly in New York, so she used the opportunity to meet with Poroshenko.
Votes of the Ukrainian diaspora mean much to her – that’s actually more than a million of U.S. voters who traditionally support Republicans. However, in the light of Trump’s controversial statements they might as well support Clinton now.
Besides, Trump’s campaign headquarters haven’t been really professional when it comes to working with correspondence. The problem with Ukraine emerged only because Trump’s campaign HQ failed to answer the invitation of Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry. But that’s not about ignoring it, it’s about the lack of professionalism. Many U.S. experts that we stay in constant touch with have been complaining about that in our private talks.
If the Republican becomes the new president, the U.S. policy towards Ukraine will not change much. It’s quite the other way around – their support will grow, including the support on the matter of providing lethal arms to Ukraine. We should treat this calmly; we know that our politicians promise a lot at first, and then, there’s not so much that becomes true. Even in such democratic country as the USA, the situation is pretty much the same.
Poroshenko invites American companies to join National Investment Council 28 September, 19:33
Maryna Poroshenko meets with Michelle Obama 22 September, 11:33
Poroshenko: Trump’s words about Crimea are ‘campaign rhetoric’ 26 September, 09:15
Biden: At least five EU states are ready to abolish sanctions against Russia 22 September, 15:08
- SOCIETY18:45Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars