EU leaders to discuss relations with Russia
EU will consider how to improve relations between Russia without removing sanctions
European Union leaders will discuss the possibility of improving relations with Russia in response to the growing discontent with economic sanctions against Russia among a number of EU Member States next month. Reuters agency reports this.
It is noted that the sanctions against Russia will likely be saved.
The EU Member States Representatives will review the state of relations with Russia at the summit on October 20-21.
The agency notes that Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Slovakia and Hungary are now skeptical about the prolongation of sanctions against Russia. They want to go back to doing business with the country.
"It will be extremely difficult to extend the sanctions, but it can be done if the key skeptics will be convinced that there are other elements in the EU policy towards Russia, and not just sanctions", said a senior official in the EU.
Another agency's interlocutor said: "There will be those who will want to lower the bar for Russia to give a signal that as soon as Moscow will make a step forward, the EU will normalize the situation".
According to the source, the supporters of lifting the sanctions converge in the position that decisions on sanctions should be a unanimous opinion.
"Nobody wants to single-handedly block the sanctions’ extending. It would have been different if a few of them were to stand for this decision together", he said.
Earlier, the US Vice President Joe Biden warned Poroshenko that at least five EU countries are ready to abolish anti-Russian sanctions.
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars