EU delegation in Ukraine urges Russia to let Savchenko go
The EU diplomatic mission in Kyiv says it will keep on conveying its position to Russian authorities
“The EU continues to call for the immediate release of Nadia Savchenko. The case of Ms Savchenko has been consistently raised by the EU with the Russian authorities. The EU intends to be present when the final verdict in the case of Ms Savchenko is pronounced”, the EU Delegation in Ukraine tweeted on March 4.
The EU office in Kyiv reiterated it would continue to convey to Russian authorities its position also over cases of other Ukrainian citizens illegally detained in Russia, which contradicts respective provisions of the Minsk agreements, as all hostages that were detained during the conflict in eastern Ukraine should be released.
Previously, on March 4, Savchenko’s defense team visited her in pre-trail detention facility and published her letter where the pilot said she didn’t change her mind about another waterless hunger strike, which she announced on March 3; thus, she started fasting on March 4, demanding to let her go to Ukraine “dead or alive”.
Savchenko claimed she would resist feeding or making any tests, adding that she would only allow Ukrainian doctors to examine her. She also said that any resort to physical force will be considered as torture, which she would resist.
As 112 International reported, the Donetsk city court in Rostov region, Russia, announced a break in the hearing of Savchenko’s case until March 9. Thus, the court deprived her of the right to deliver her final speech. The text of her speech was later uploaded at Facebook. Savchenko, in particular, stated that she’s going for another hunger strike if Russia doesn’t let her go. Under her current health conditions, a waterless hunger strike poses direct life risk.
In mid-December 2015, Russian court ruled that the pilot stays in detention until April 2016.
Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland 23 October, 10:33
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode
- POLITICS14:47Ukraine summons Syrian diplomat to protest against recognition of Crimea’s occupation
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:01No fatalities among Ukrainian servicemen in Donbas over last 24 hours
- SPORT12:30Klitschko: I hope to get my champion titles back this year
- FINANCE11:41Ukrzaliznytsia company evades taxes at sum of USD 50 million
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee