Erdogan: ‘We’re ready for immediate steps to implement Turkish Stream’
The Turkey-Russia pipeline is expected to outride Ukraine’s territory
‘There’s nothing standing on the way to that. We’re ready to discuss this project and make the decision’, Recep Tayip Erdogan said in a recent interview with the Russian media.
The Turkish president remembered that his country buys gas mostly from Russia.
‘As of July 2016, the total volume of gas imported from Russia made 12.5 billion cubic meters. This shows how much important our economic partnership is in that area’, Erdogan said, briefly before his visit to Russia and further negotiations on this matter.
Turkish stream is the working name of a proposed natural gas pipeline running from Southern Russian Krasnodar Region across the Black Sea to Turkish Thrace. Announced by Russian president Vladimir Putin on 1 December 2014, during his state visit to Turkey, the proposal is supposed to replace the earlier cancelled South Stream project. According to Russia’s state gas monopolist Gazprom, the project did not have an official name.
In November 2015, following the Turkish shootdown of a Russian Su-24 aircraft in Syria, talks on the project were unilaterally suspended by the Russian side, and in December 2015, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan announced the Turkish Stream project would be formally abandoned. In late July 2016, following a reconciliation meeting in Moscow, both sides however put the project back on table.
Negotiations in Normandy format resumed 20 October, 00:47
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels