Erdogan: If EU respects democracy it will not prevent Turkey from returning death penalty
Turkish president says country's democracy is not under threat
Mogherini said that Turkey will not become EU member if it allows death penalty. However, Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan stated that returning the death penalty will not affect State's relations with EU. He said this in an interview with Al Jazeera.
"If the EU respects democracy it will accept people's will," he said, stressing that the people have voiced this demand.
"They took to the streets and kept saying 'capital punishment, capital punishment, capital punishment", Erdogan adds.
According to him, if parliament makes that decision, then the duty of the authorities in power is to pave the way for this punishment to be reintroduced. He added that the US, Russia, China and in many other countries have capital punishment.
The Turkish president said he believed foreign countries might have been involved in the failed coup attempt, though he declined to name any.
Turkey abolished the death penalty in 2004 under reforms aimed at obtaining European Union membership.
Steinmeier: EU might fall 24 October, 10:58
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain