Earth is under threat of collision with a large asteroid
NASA estimated the chances as one to 2700, so there's basically nothing to worry about
The Earth is under threat of collision with a large asteroid. This was announced by one of the experts of the US space agency Dante Lauretta. He is the head of future mission to the asteroid Benn.
This autumn, the US are to send a probe to the body to take pictures and soil samples.
According to NASA, Benn will fly in between the Moon and the Earth in 2135. Their gravity can reject its trajectory a bit, creating a possibility of collision with our planet in the last quarter of the 22nd century. But NASA estimated the chances as one to 2700, so there's basically nothing to worry about.
Moreover, at that time, humanity is likely to have the means to avoid the collision. If it still happens, the power of a falling rock of a half a kilometer in diameter would be equivalent to 3 billion tons of explosives.
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars