Dzhemilev: Russia’s Supreme Court unlikely to cancel ban of Mejlis
Leader of Crimean Tatars says Crimean “government” is a puppet guided directly by the Kremlin
According to Ukraine’s MP, Presidential Envoy on Rights of Crimean Tatars Mustafa Dzhemilev, the Russian judiciary authorities most likely will not cancel the recent ban of Mejlis of Crimean Tatar people.
“Well, since there were instructions to shut down Mejlis, I don’t think this court decision will be revised or canceled. However, there is an option. If the international community puts fairly strong pressure on Russia, and the Supreme Court will have to change the decision, the government might use the respective legal mechanism, like changing the decision after an appeal or something. But that’s unlikely to happen”, Dzhemilev said.
On April 26, the so-called "Supreme Court" of the Russian-occupied Crimea banned Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people and forbade any activities of this organization across the Russian Federation. The decision was announced by judicial panel chaired by judge Natalya Terentyeva; thus, the panel complied with the respective suit of Natalya Poklonskaya, so-called "Prosecutor of Crimea".
Earlier, the press service of the Prosecutor General’s Office of Ukraine reported that a criminal case on the ban of Mejlis by Prosecution of Crimea has been initiated. The Prosecutor General’s Office of Ukraine noted that the ban of Mejlis demonstrates violation of rights of Crimean Tatars people and all citizens, who oppose temporary occupation of the territory of Ukraine by the Russian Federation.
Previously, on April 18, Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation listed Mejlis of Crimean Tatars as extremist organization.
Ukraine demands that Russia stops prosecutions of Crimean Tatars 12 October, 14:28
Smedlyayev: Russian federal security service arrests more Crimean Tatars 12 October, 16:03
U.S. doesn’t recognize Russia’s ban of Mejlis of Crimean Tatars 1 October, 11:00
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars