Hollande opposes boosting of anti-terrorist law in France
Limiting nation’s freedoms will not make fighting terrorism more efficient, French leader says
Francois Hollande’s views on the issue remain unchanged, though the parliamentary opposition urged him to reinforce the legal frameworks in this area, after the most recent the attack on the church in Saint Etienne du Rouvray.
‘Limiting nation’s freedoms will not make fighting terrorism more efficient,’ the president said in his TV address to the nation.
The politician added that the current state of affairs and the acting legal frameworks ‘create opportunities for taking action’. Thus, he declined the offer of his predecessor Nicolas Sarkozy and his party, who said it would be nice to ‘significantly change’ the counter-terrorism strategy in the country.
The war on terrorism will keep on, Hollande stressed. ‘And this war is going to be a long-lasting one. I urge my fellow French nation to hold on together. That’s the only way we’ll win in the war on hatred and fanaticism. I assure you all: we’ll triumph in this war’, the Head of the French state said.
Holande added that the government already uses unprecedented mobilization in the police, the national gendarmerie and the army.
Due to terrorist threats, the French leader cancelled his visit to Prague which should have taken place on Wednesday.
Negotiations in Normandy format resumed 20 October, 00:47
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars