Defense of Ukrainians Karpyuk, Klykh appeals against judgment of Russian court
Lawyers say procedural infractions took place during consideration of case
The defense of imprisoned Ukrainians Mykola Karpyuk and Stanislav Klykh appealed against the Chechen court’s decision in their case. Ilya Novikov, Karpyuk’s lawyer, said this on June 10.
“My colleagues asked the court to cancel the judgment in the case of our defendants”, he said.
Novikov’s counterpart Dokka Itslayev noted that the Supreme Court of Chechnya allowed a number of procedural infractions and violations of norms of material right. “They (the court) violated rights for non-use of tortures, for questioning by defense witnesses, and also for independent and unbiased court trial”, he said.
Besides, Itslayev added, the court allowed pressure on the jury and violated the right of defendants for presumption of innocence.
As 112 International reported, Mykola Karpyuk, leader of the Ukrainian National Assembly, was detained in March 2014. Stanislav Klykh was detained in Russia in September 2014, when he came to Russia to visit his pregnant girlfriend.
The Russian jury said they both allegedly joined the Viking unit, which fought on the side of Chechen nationalists as they sought independence from Russia in the 1990s. The jury accused Karpyuk and Klykh of killing and wounding dozens of Russian servicemen. Mykola Karpyuk, leader of the Ukrainian National Assembly, was detained in March 2014. Stanislav Klykh was detained in Russia in September 2014, when he came to Russia to visit his pregnant girlfriend.
Gerashchenko: Ukraine demands that Russia releases Sushchenko 3 October, 10:00
Ukrainian consul prevented from visiting detained Kolchenko 1 October, 14:00
Sushchenko case: Ukrainian reporter arrested for two months 3 October, 11:30
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
- POLITICS11:15Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russian law enforcers search apartment of 112 Ukraine TV channel's reporter in Moscow
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Poltorak: Minsk agreements put Debaltseve as Ukrainian territory
- POLITICS10:12Cabinet allocates USD 4.8 mln for development of military technologies
- POLITICS09:28Syrian army vows to down Turkish military aircraft
- POLITICS08:47Russia: ‘Humanitarian break’ in Aleppo continues until October 24
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:00Donbas: Vicinities of Mariupol under mortar fire
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels