Dalia Grybauskaite does not want her country to be occupied again by Russia
“At the beginning of WWII we were occupied by Russia. We do not want to be occupied by the same neighbor once again”
Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite said she does not want her country to be occupied again by Russia. The text of her interview is publish by Sudwest Presse ahead of a two-day NATO summit in Warsaw.
“At the beginning of WWII we were occupied by Russia. We do not want to be occupied by the same neighbor once again,” – said Grybauskaite.
Angela Merkel pledged on Friday to deploy 1000 thousand of troops in Lithuania to deter Russian aggression.
"We are very happy that Germany agreed to be a framework nation in Lithuania, – Grybauskaite said, emphasizing a vital role of Germany in European security. – I think we are at a historic turning point." Grybauskaite also said she understands the sensitivities of Germany, as it’s police has traditionally been cautious of military actions due to its World War II history, but today is the right time to take more decisive actions. Lithuania is asking all its partners to help it protect themselves.
She also mentioned four multinational battalions are expected in the three Baltic States from NATO, one battalion from Canada in Latvia, a British battalion in Estonia, and an American battalion in Poland.
Dalia Grybauskaite is the first female president of independent Lithuania since 2009 (re-elected in 2014). She has been one of the most vocal critics of Russian aggression towards Ukraine in Donbas.
Russia bombers fly near Iceland passenger airliner 27 September, 09:47
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
NATO Secretary General: Those responsible for MH17 tragedy should be punished 29 September, 08:44
Sweden: Russia aggravates situation in the region 11 October, 12:38
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars