Criminal case opened against Ukraine’s Interior Minister – Prosecutor General
MP Vitaliy Shabunin claims that Minister Arsen Avakov is involved in offshore scandal
‘I get dozens of letters from people, including the ones from MP Vitaliy Shabunin. After this letter, I initiated the criminal proceeding against – who’d you think? – Interior Minister Avakov. All addresses to the Prosecutor General’s Office have the same procedural status’, Yuriy Lutsenko said in a recent interview with TV Channel 24.
Previously, Lutsenko said that the case against the Centre for Fighting Corruption will be closed in the near time. The Centre’s Board Director, MP Vitaliy Shabunin claimed he’d like to see the respective documents.
Earlier, Perchersk district court in Kyiv allowed the Prosecutor General’s Office to withdraw documents that belong to the Centre for Fighting Corruption. A group of prosecutors received temporary access to bills containing bank secrecy. The Centre called this a petty excuse to interfere and block this NGO’s work. The organization was looking into a U.S. grant for development of the Prosecutor General’s Office.
Vitaliy Shabunin previously reported that Arsen Avakov, the Interior Minister, deliberately kept silence when it came to conflict of interests during the Ministry-led investigation in the case of MP Ihor Kotvitsky. The lawmaker is charged with hiding USD 40 million in an offshore zone. Shabunin turned to Lutsenko, asking to initiate the proceeding based on this conflict of interests. MP Serhiy Leshchenko also claimed that Avakov is involved in this offshore scandal. The Minister denied these accusations.
Earlier, some Ukrainian MPs offered to fire Avakov due to incompetence after the scandal in Mykolaiv region.
Source: Channel 24
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain