Crimean Tatars to hold meetings at border with Crimea on May 18
On this day, Ukraine commemorates victims of 1944 deportation of Crimean Tatars
Crimean Tatar activists intend to hold a demonstration at the administrative border with Russian-occupied peninsula. It will be timed to the Day of Remembrance of victims of the deportation of Crimean Tatar people, which was perpetrated by the Soviet authorities in 1944.
Pro-Russian government of Crimea doesn’t let the activists hold their events on the peninsula’s territory. Leader of the civil blockade of Crimea Lenur Islyamov said this in an interview with Krym.Realii.
Islyamov said that the solemn meetings will also be held in other cities of Ukraine, with the largest one to take place in Genichesk district, Kherson region, not far from Chongar checkpoint at the border with the occupied Crimea.
“Crimean Tatars all over Ukraine and the occupied Crimea will come there. On May 18, they will not let us hold our actions in Crimea, so the Mejlis decided that the people get there and say everything they want to”, said the leader of the civil blockade of Crimea.
He added that activists expect provocations and they are ready to cope with any difficulties in this regard. “To us, it’s more than just another day. It’s a day hwne we all mourn for all persiehd Crimean Tatars. It’s a tragedy that destroyed fate of several generations of our people”, Islyamov said.
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:16Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain