On December 17, Donetsk city court (Rostov region, Russia) extended arrest of Nadia Savchenko until April 16, 2016, her lawyer Nikolai Polozov tweeted.
Mark Feygin, another lawyer from Savchenko’s defense team tweeted that on December 18, the pilot goes for another hunger strike protesting against the decision to extend her detention in Russia.
According to Polozov, Savchenko announced the hunger strike until the end of the court trial. “Shedemandstoreleaseher”, thelawyerwrote. Previously, he said that Russian court requested materials on judicial assistance from Ukraine, received and collected them, but never added them to the case.
Nadia Savchenko, MP and former Ukraine’s Air Force officer, was captured by pro-Russian militants in eastern Ukraine in summer 2014. She says they captured her, forcefully brought her to Russia and passed her to Russian investigative authorities. Savchenko is charged with murder of two Russian reporters who worked in eastern Ukraine without any permission of the Ukrainian government. She is also charged with the illegal crossing of the Russian border. The pilot, her defense team and the Ukrainian government deny all charges, demanding to release her.