Council of Europe: trial over Savchenko illegal
The illegal detention and verdict in the pilot’s case contravene basic principles of the Council
The Ministers Committee of the Council of Europe claimed that the trial over detained Ukrainian fighter pilot Nadiya Savchenko is illegal. Press service of Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry reported this on March 31.
In particular, the Committee noted that the illegal detention and the verdict pronounced by the court on March 22 concerned the EU authoritative body, because they are not in line with fundamental principles of the Council of Europe – supremacy of law, human rights protection and democracy.
Besides, the Ministers Committee of the Council of Europe expressed concern over Savchenko’s health conditions, which seriously deteriorated due to long-lasting detention and numerous hunger strikes. The Committee urged Russian authorities to allow doctors whom Savchenko trusts to visit and examine her, and allow her relatives to see her. The resolution of the Committee says that the EU agency urges the Russian side to release Savchenko unconditionally and immediately, which is based on human rights protection and respective provisions of Minsk agreements.
Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry welcomed the respective decision of the Committee of the Council of Europe. “We consider it as an important gesture of solidarity of this international organization and its members with the Ukrainian nation, and as a strong signal to support Ukrainian political prisoners in general”, the Ministry said.
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
Klimkin: Russia tries to tear Europe appart 12 October, 17:33
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars