Chaly: Ukraine, U.S. could initiate joint arms manufacture
The project might be developed on the Ukrainian territory, the country’s Ambassador in the USA said
The official commented on the U.S.-Ukraine military cooperation, which is being intensively sponsored.
‘The unprecedented sum of over 650 million dollars was allocated this year by the U.S government to assist Ukraine. 335 million dollars were assigned for the needs of security and defense; the hardware supplies for Ukraine are underway. I can’t rule out that the supplies will be running. We are fine with the clear and firm official position of Washington in this regard. There are people among both Republicans and Democrats who support Ukraine, saying that Russian troops should be withdrawn from its territory. In any event, Ukraine’s issue will be considered even more actively than now. We’ve got big opportunities to continue cooperation with the White House,’ Valeriy Chaly said.
Commenting on lethal weapons supplies for Ukraine, the diplomat said the following: ‘It’s not about the supplies per se, but the very signal that America sends us such weaponry. Both chambers of the U.S. Congress clearly defined such possibility. My idea of such cooperation is to manufacture firearms – jointly with Americans, here in Ukraine; we’ve restored our production capabilities for that. Besides, there are third markets – we’re not the only ones with the needs, so that’s a good perspective’, he said.
Back in April, the White House reported that the U.S. government will not supply Ukraine lethal weapons to avoid escalation of the armed conflict in Donbas. However, in May, the U.S. Senate offered to assign USD 500 mln to support Ukraine, which includes supplies of lethal weapons.
On August 16, the higher chamber of the U.S. Congress reported that there is no consensus in the government on this issue.
Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt 25 October, 13:44
Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes 25 October, 15:15
Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 25 October, 09:43
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas