Canada and Ukraine to develop cooperation in defense sphere
Ukraine is a top-priority country within the region for the Military Training Cooperation Program
Richard Fadden, National Security Advisor of the Prime Minister of Canada met with Ukrainian Deputy Minister of Defense Petro Mekhed and assured intentions of Canada to deepen Canadian-Ukrainian defence cooperation.
“We thank the Canadian people and Canadian Government and the Ukrainian community in Canada for assistance, - Mekhed stressed. - Everyone understands that this war is not just against Ukraine".
Ukraine is one of 25 countries of focus for Canada’s development assistance. It is a top-priority country within the region for the Military Training Cooperation Program (MTCP). Canada supports the NATO-Ukraine Joint Working Group through the provision of language, staff officer, and peacekeeping training for Ukrainian military and civilian personnel. With Canada’s ongoing commitment and increased support to Ukraine, the MTCP has duly responded by increasingly the course offerings to Ukraine in 2014 and 2015. Ukraine is currently the largest participant in Canada’s MTCP.
Canada and Ukraine cooperate in projects in the area of nuclear security and nuclear safety (including the Chornobyl Shelter Fund), the redirection of former weapons scientists through the Science and Technology Centre in Ukraine (STCU), and border security. Between 2003 and 2012 Canada provided Ukraine with over $57.5 million for nuclear and radiological safety and security, and over $20 million to help redirect the work of former weapons scientists towards peaceful pursuits.
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
NATO Secretary General: Those responsible for MH17 tragedy should be punished 29 September, 08:44
Sweden: Russia aggravates situation in the region 11 October, 12:38
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case