Britain may lead EU in 2017 despite Brexit
Despite results of UK referendum in which majority of votes approved British withdrawal from EU, Britain cannot deprive turn to lead EU in 2017
According to the established order in the EU, there are no legal grounds to deprive the rights of UK Presidency of the European Council, the highest political body of the European Union, UNIAN reports.
Great Britain can lose this right only if all the other 27 EU member states unanimously vote for it.
Until the exit date of the UK from the EU will be agreed, the Britain remains a member of the EU, with all arising rights and responsibilities.
According to the current principle of rotation, Britain will chair the European Council from July to December 2017.
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia 20 October, 16:30
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars