Brexit kicks off in the UK
Citizens to decide whether the Great Britain stays or secedes from the EU
The historical voting takes place in the United Kingdom on Thursday. It started at 7 a.m. (9 a.m. Kyiv time); polling stations opened across the country for the people to make their choice of the country’s future part in the EU. Brexit is the first such case in the EU’s history; no EU member country has ever conducted such polls or actually left the Union.
The only question at the referendum is the following: ‘Should the United Kingdom stay in the EU or leave it?’. The two options are ‘remain EU member’ and ‘exit the EU’.
The decision to hold the plebiscite was made in January 2013, when British Premier David Cameron promised to organize voting on this issue by 2017, if his party wins the parliamentary election in 2015. In February 2016, Cameron announced that the referendum would take place in summer. The politician himself supports the UK’s further membership in the EU.
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
Steinmeier: EU might fall 24 October, 10:58
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case