BBC: Erdogan responds to U.S. criticism, tells them to ‘mind their business’
‘Countries and leaders caring about fate of rebels cannot be our friends’, Turkish leader says
Recep Taip Erdogan crossly reacted to the U.S. military’s criticisism aganist his crackdown in the wake of the coup attempt, BBC wrote.
In particular, he accused General Joseph Votel, head of the U.S. Central Command, of being "on the side of the coup plotters". Earlier this week, Votel noted that the jailing of some military leaders could damage Turkish-American military co-operation.
Erdogan was also defiant in the face of criticism over his crackdown, which the Turkish interior ministry said on Friday had seen 18,000 detentions.
"Some people give us advice. They say they are worried. Mind your own business! Look at your own deeds’, the politician said.
Turkey announced a military reshuffle on Thursday evening, including the dishonourable discharge of 1,700 military servicemen. About 40% of generals and admirals have been discharged since the coup.
More than 66,000 public sector workers have been dismissed from their posts and 50,000 passports cancelled, while the labour ministry is investigating 1,300 of its staff. The state has also shut 142 media outlets and detained several journalists.
Parubiy: Time to impose visa regime, extend sanctions against Russia 3 October, 12:15
Sushchenko case: Ukrainian reporter arrested for two months 3 October, 11:30
Gerashchenko: Ukraine demands that Russia releases Sushchenko 3 October, 10:00
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain