BBC: Crimea tension: What is Russia's end game?
When it comes to recent events in Crimea, there are still more questions than answers.
Russian state TV channels have broadcast footage of men confessing to a plot to carry out terror attacks on the peninsula that was annexed by Russia in 2014.
The suspected saboteurs tell interrogators they were acting on orders from Kiev. Ukraine denies any involvement and calls it a provocation.
Local residents near the scene do report hearing shots fired last Saturday night, when the FSB security service says it intercepted the first group of men.
But the FSB statement describes a second attempted incursion of Crimea accompanied by "massive fire from the neighbouring state and armoured vehicles of the Ukrainian armed forces".
No video footage or independent confirmation of that incident has yet emerged.
What actually took place therefore remains a mystery. But it is what happens next that matters most, as the incident raises tensions between Moscow and Kiev to dangerous heights.
So is Moscow planning to retaliate militarily against what it is describing as an act of terror masterminded by Kiev?
Vladimir Putin has already pledged that he will "not let such things pass".
In that context, the subsequent deployment of S400 air defence missiles to Crimea could well seem menacing. Russia's Defence Ministry has also announced military exercises on the peninsula next week.
It all underlines Russia's intent to defend the territory it annexed from Ukraine two years ago in a move condemned as illegal by Kiev and the West.
Read the whole article here
Over past day in ATO zone 3 Ukrainian soldiers were injured, - Lysenko 15 October, 17:07
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
Playing disengagement 12 October, 20:30
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain