Austrian Chancellor: Negotiations on Turkey's accession to EU are diplomatic fiction
Current negotiations on accession of Turkey to Union is diplomatic fiction, Chancellor says
Chancellor of Austria Christian Kern stated his intention to "critically discuss" the feasibility of negotiations on Turkey's accession to the EU with the heads of the EU countries. According to him, Turkey will not be able to become a member of the Union in the near future. Kern wants to raise this issue during the meeting of the European Council on September 16, the Austrian TV channel ORF reports.
According to the Chancellor, the current negotiations on the accession of Turkey to the European Union are ‘a diplomatic fiction’. Kern noted the lack of progress in these negotiations. According to him, in fact, Turkey has "no real prospect of joining the EU". The Chancellor proposed to consider "the alternative concept" for Turkey.
"We know that Turkey's democratic standards are not sufficient to qualify for the EU membership", the Austrian Chancellor said.
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
Steinmeier: EU might fall 24 October, 10:58
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
- UA & EU08:39Klimkin visits Netherlands to promote EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas