Atlantic Council: Brexit losers and winners
Brexit advantages and disadvantages for world's major players
The United Kingdom will emerge as the biggest loser from its voters’ decision to exit the European Union.
The United States loses a useful ally in its dealings with the European bloc, but it has others. France and Russia benefit, while Germany under Chancellor Angela Merkel will look increasingly vulnerable. Italy, Poland, and Spain have the opportunity to increase their influence within the EU, but are unlikely to seize it in the short term.
The United Kingdom’s diplomatic weight over the past two decades has flowed from its position within three multinational organizations: NATO, the United Nations Security Council, and the EU. It has been a sought-after partner for many nations, especially the United States, because of its ability to make things happen—or not happen—in these organizations.
The EU covers the broadest range of policy areas of the three. By leaving the bloc, the United Kingdom gives up its ability to influence EU decisions on trade; sanctions; market regulation, including financial markets; climate change; development; migration; and Russia. The EU will still exist, and will continue to modify its rules, but the United Kingdom will no longer have a voice. Thus, its value as a diplomatic partner will be greatly reduced.
Read the full article: Brexit losers and winners
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars