Anti-Corruption Bureau: MP Leshchenko allowed violations when buying apartment
Lawmaker once known as fighter against corruption is suspected in corruption-related administrative violation
The National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NABU) reports that Serhiy Leshchenko, Ukrainian MP from Petro Poroshenko’s Bloc (see photo), allowed a number of violations that may be related to corruption. Artem Sytnyk, the Head of the Bureau, reported this at a Monday briefing in Kyiv. The briefing was broadcasted by 112 Ukraine TV channel.
According to the NABU Head, a common citizen can’t just get an interest-free loan for 10 years to purchase an apartment – like Leshchenko did, getting the money from Olena Prytula, CEO of Ukrainska Pravda outlet. The approximate sum of profit would make about 7 thousand dollars in 2016, and 21,000 every next year, provided that the refinancing rate of the National Bank would keep on the level of 15 percent, Sytnyk said.
Besides, the lawmaker never included his mother’s deposit accounts in the 2014-2015 declarations of property. The NABU explained that such actions may be qualified as violation of financial control requirements.
Previously, Head of the Special Anti-Corruption Prosecutor’s Office Nazar Kholodnytsky charged the NABU to check the legal status of apartment purchase by MP Serhiy Leshchenko. The lawmaker willingly offered NABU to check his actions, also stepping down as board member of Democratic Alliance party.
According to the State Register for Real Estate Property Rights, Leshchenko bought an elite apartment in the downtown Kyiv (192 sq.metres in area). Under the current price rate for real estate in that neighborhood, the price is about 7.5 million Ukrainian hryvnas (about USD 200,000).
Commenting on the issue, Leshchenko said that his money was only part of the sum.
Parliamentary hearing timed to Babi Yar’s 75th anniversary underway in Kyiv 27 September, 16:38
Poroshenko urges Parliament to vote for dismissal of oath-breaking judges 28 September, 07:45
Historian: Ukrainian nationalists never took part in Holocaust 27 September, 20:43
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas