Almost 1,500 Turkish military detained due to coup d’état attempt
Parliamentary Speaker Ismail Kahraman reported this on July 16
1,374 rebel servicemen of the Turkish Armed Forces were detained for the illegal actions against the government, constitution and statehood, Kahraman said.
The Head of the Turkish Parliament added that MPs gathered on an emergency meeting.
Lastnight, an explosion thundered in the Parliament’s building; 12 people were wounded.
As is known, rebel Turkish soldiers and officers organized coup d’état, trying to topple President Erdogan. The Events began on Friday evening when tanks took up positions on key bridges in Istanbul, which were blocked, troops were seen on the streets and low-flying military jets were filmed over Ankara (BBC).
A faction of the army then declared that a "peace council" was running the country, and there would be a curfew and martial law.
The group said it had launched the coup "to ensure and restore constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms".
It said that the democratic and secular rule of law had been eroded by the current government, and there would be a new constitution.
President Erdogan was in the south-west holiday resort of Marmaris at the time, but flew on to Istanbul. He said Marmaris had been bombed after he left.
He took to his mobile phone to make a televised statement, urging people to take to the streets to oppose the uprising. "I never believed in a power higher than the power of the people," he said.
Common citizens took it to the streets, showing their support to the president and the government. The military leadership also stayed loyal to Erdogan. Though local resistance hotspots are still active, many fighters laid down their guns and surrendered.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars