Alliance members will not recognize elections in uncontrolled Donbas areas - Stoltenberg
Stoltenberg stressed that any voting in the east of Ukraine should be done in accordance with the Ukrainian law
NATO member countries will not recognize the elections in the those parts of Donbas territory which are uncontrolled by Ukrainian government, claimed NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg during a press conference at the Yavoriv training center, Lviv region.
NATO Secretary-General stressed that any will in the east of Ukraine should be in accordance with Ukrainian legislation. Otherwise, he said, "the elections will be considered fake and will not be recognized by any country member of the Alliance".
"The most important thing is that these elections were based on the Ukrainian legislation. This is an important part of the implementation of the Minsk agreements, which are the best way to a peaceful resolution of the conflict in Ukraine", Secretary General told.
In addition, Jens Stoltenberg noted that the actions of Russia in Crimea and Donbas are not only a violation of the territorial integrity and sovereignty, but they also undermine the world order.
"It is a challenge to everyone who aspires to a stable and peaceful development of Europe. That is why we so strongly and actively support Ukraine and stress the need to respect and implement the Minsk agreements," Stoltenberg said.
Earlier it became known that the "head of the self-proclaimed "Donetsk People's Republic" Aleksandr Zakharchenko said that the elections "DPR" will be held on 18 October while in The "LPR – on November 1st.
President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko called to expand sanctions against Russia in connection with the decision of the so-called "DNR" and "LPR" to hold pseudo-elections, which are contrary to the Minsk Agreements.
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
29 attacks in Donbas region during previous 24 hours, - ATO HQ 18 October, 09:31
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars