Afanasyev and Soloshenko: First public statements upon returning to Ukraine
Both were hospitalized due to health issues they faced back in Russian prison
Former political prisoners Yuriy Soloshenko and Hennadiy Afanasyev said a couple of words for the press, immediately after their arrival in Ukraine. They spent 767 days in detention in Russia, charged with espionage and terrorism.
I’ve been waiting for this moment for a year and ten months. I’ve been waiting, hoping and believing it would happen. They threatened me, they told me my country left me for dead, they told me Ukrainian consul refused to see me; they told me I’d rather take Russian citizenship, and then they’d protect me – already as a witness, not as a defendant. On May 25, I found out that President said that Soloshenko and Afanasyev will get back to Ukraine. Some of my friends are there in Russia, but Russian state is now hostile to our country, and I guess it would stay that way until there’s Putin’s regime in Russia. So, we’ve got to do everything to release our compatriots from these cells where me and Gena (Afanasyev, - 112 International) served time.
Are there any foreign journalists in here? I’d like to turn to you. I faced tortures and pain, and I saw a lot of this stuff done to many people. I ask you to keep the sanctions in place and continue this policy, do not cancel any sanctions (against Russia, - 112 International). Thanks to western governments and your assistance, we’re here. Perhaps, Oleg Sentsov, Olexandr Kolchenko and other Ukrainian political prisoners will get back home – with your aid.
Ukrainians support Sushchenko near Russian Embassy in Kyiv 6 October, 15:40
Bezsmertny: Sushchenko’s arrest in Russia not coincidental 5 October, 09:15
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars