A team of refugee athletes in Rio2016 presented
10 members of the newly created refugee team took part in the 129th session of the IOC, which opened on Tuesday.
The International Olympic Committee presented a team of refugee athletes in Rio de Janeiro.
10 members of the newly created team took part in the 129th session of the IOC, which opened last Tuesday. Such team will participate in the Olympics for the first time ever. It includes ten athletes from different countries who were forced to leave their homeland and to live and train abroad.
They will perform under the Olympic flag. Five athletes originate from Southern Sudan, two from Syria, two from Congo and another one - from Ethiopia. Chairman of the IOC Thomas Bach said that one of the goals of the initiative is to encourage countries that accept refugees to better help them in their integration into society.
He promised to keep supporting the team- members after the event.
Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov 20 October, 20:01
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia 20 October, 16:30
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
- POLITICS11:15Russian law enforcers search apartment of 112 Ukraine TV channel's reporter in Moscow
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Poltorak: Minsk agreements put Debaltseve as Ukrainian territory
- POLITICS10:12Cabinet allocates USD 4.8 mln for development of military technologies
- POLITICS09:28Syrian army vows to down Turkish military aircraft
- POLITICS08:47Russia: ‘Humanitarian break’ in Aleppo continues until October 24
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:00Donbas: Vicinities of Mariupol under mortar fire
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels