Ukrainian IDPs do not have right to vote on the nearest elections
Ukrainian IDPs from Crimea and Donbas are not able to vote in the place of actual residence
Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted a law on local elections, which states that person has a right vote if belongs to the territorial community, and the place of his or her resident is registered. Also, a document that certifies the identity, proofs the citizenship and place of residence of the voter, is Ukrainian passport or a temporary certificate a citizen of Ukraine, as stated during the briefing of the human rights organizations.
Consequently, the IDPs, who currently live, for example, in Kiev, have an IDP certificate, do not have a stamp in the passport confirming the relevant registration, are not able to take part in the local elections, as explained the human rights activists.
The conference participants noted that the this law not only violates the rights of migrants, but also conflict with a number of other laws of Ukraine.
"This law has fused a lot of rules that are opposing to the Constitution of Ukraine. Article 70 of the Constitution describes the rules and conditions under which a citizen of Ukraine is deprived in the right to vote. It is a person who has not attained 18 years of age, is incapacitated person, or is not a citizen of Ukraine, "- said co-founder and coordinator of the "KrymSOS” initiative Tamila Tasheva.
"Many of these people will never return to those places living, from which they came and this means that they are already members of the communities, to which they moved. They have already moved to live here in Kyiv or any other city. But here we face the situation ,when the person legally exists, but he does not belong to any territorial community. We are talking about the territorial community, which is to be elected on the nearest elections,” says the chairman of the “VostokSOS” organization Oleksandra Dvoretska.
Human rights activists also note that if the IDP wants to take part in elections and is gets registered at the place of actual living, he automatically loses the status of IDP and all the IDPS’ provisions.
Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 27 October, 09:44
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas 27 October, 09:05
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
- POLITICS07:50Klimkin: Normandy Four foreign ministers could meet in late November
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case