Ukraine needs 1240 Javelin anti-tank missiles to deter Russian aggression - President Poroshenko
1240 is the number of nuclear warheads Ukraine gave up under the 1994 Budapest Memorandum, jointly signed by the U.S., Britain and Russia
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko in his interview with WSJ claimed that “We’re looking for just 1,240 Javelin missiles, and this is absolutely fair”. And in exchange for that the United States of America and Great Britain “promised to guarantee our sovereignty and territorial integrity”, he adds. Ukraine voluntarily gave up its nuclear arsenal in 1994 in framework of Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances.
“Compared with strategic weapons, 1,240 Javelin missiles are small beer,” writes WSJ taking into consideration that America refused to transfer to Ukraine the antitank system—or any other form of lethal aid.
“We aren’t demanding that British, American or French soldiers come here and fight for us, - says Poroshenko. - We’re doing this ourselves, paying the most difficult price, the life of my soldiers. We need solidarity”.
There are lots of lessons West should have learned from Ukraine: “Anytime, any plane or submarine can make a missile attack, including against the U.S.,” previses Ukrainian President.
As was reported by the Ministry of Defense, 2 300 Ukrainian soldiers were killed during anti-terroristic operation in Donbas; another 273 are missing.
Under Budapest memorandum, the signatories (Russia, the U.S., and the UK) offered Ukraine "security assurances" in exchange for its adherence to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. The Budapest Memorandum thus was negotiated as a political agreement. It refers to assurances, not defined, but less than a military guarantee.
Pentagon spots unsuccessful launch of North Korea ballistic missile 16 October, 13:07
Nuland goes to Moscow to discuss Donbas 4 October, 08:37
Poroshenko invites American companies to join National Investment Council 28 September, 19:33
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars