Ukraine has a sovereign right to defend its own territory - Geoffrey Pyatt
Telephonic Press Briefing by EU Ambassador to Ukraine Jan Tombiński and U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt
During the briefing Geoffrey Pyatt announced that the security sector assistance reached $245 mln, this is the logic of the continued training Rapid Trident Exercises programs at Yavoriv, Western Ukraine. “And in this regard I would note both the important European partnerships we have with countries like the UK, Lithuania, Poland, who are working with us to help enhance the capabilities and professionalism of Ukrainian forces, but also the 18 NATO countries and partner countries that are part of our ongoing Rapid Trident Exercises at Yavoriv,” he said. "We do not believe there is a military solution to this conflict, but we do believe that Ukraine has a sovereign right to defend its own territory" - noticed Pyatt.
“Ukraine is implementing Minsk. Russia and its proxies are not. That’s very clear from our standpoint.In this context we strongly support President Poroshenko’s initiative for a 15 kilometer withdrawal of heavy weapons all up and down the contact line,” stated Pyatt. He welcomed the decision on demilitarization of Shyrokyne (Donetsk region), and added “And it’s important to recognize all of this territory that we’re talking about along the Azov Sea is Ukrainian territory. This is Ukrainian sovereign territory. Everything up to the international border and that’s not going to change”.
Geoffrey Pyatt underlined for the European audience the critical humanitarian crisis that is also a consequence of Russia’s aggression in the East of Ukraine. “It is totally unacceptable for the separatists to be blocking access to Ukrainian territory, to territory controlled by Russia and the separatists, by humanitarian shipments,” he said. US Ambassador stressed on the role of the humanitarian aid provided by Rinat Akhmetov to relieve the greatest victims of this war.
As was reported before, Ukrainian parliament is to redeploy the Azov and Donbas battalions out of the flash point town of Shyrokyne and to move towards military disengagement from that town. A clash in Shyrokyne injured a monitor of the OSCE.
Briefing materials published by Ministry of Foregin Affairs of Ukraine
EU calls to open access to Aleppo 3 October, 09:15
Two million Aleppo residents cut off from water supply systems, - UNICEF 24 September, 12:15
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars