The UN Security Council must be reformed - Merkel
It is necessary to include additional permanent and temporary members into the body
It is high time the UN Security Council is reformed, said German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Saturday, 26 September, reports Reuters.
"We need a new way of work to solve problems. That makes the reform of the UN Security Council necessary", said Merkel.
Merkel stated that many of current members disagree with the structure and methods of the Security Council’s activity, so it is necessary to recruit new permanent and temporary members.
Now, the institution is constituted by five permanent members (US, Russia, Great Britain, France, and China) and twenty temporary, elected by the General Assembly. Such order was established in 1945, in the time of the UN foundation after the WWII.
This month, Russia is a presiding country in the UN Security Council. Poroshenko offered to start discussion about the deprivation of the Russian right of veto in the Security Council.
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Negotiations in Normandy format resumed 20 October, 00:47
- SOCIETY20:43Savchenko’s declaration: Sister’s cars and mother’s land
- UA & EU20:04Schulz: European Parliament is on Ukraine’s side
- SOCIETY19:14Halloween is coming in Ukraine
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:1835000 militants and 6000 Russia's officers in Donbas reported
- UA & EU16:31Poroshenko, Junker to discuss EU-Ukraine AA ratification by the Netherlands
- UA & EU15:46Netherlands may delay consultations on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:30Ukrainian Defense Ministry reveals details of Makiivka night attack
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case