Record-breaking 2.5 tons of amber was seized by the police in Rivne region (north-western Ukraine)
The 2.5 tons party was valued at $3 mln
During a search of the Mercedes Sprinter van police found stones looking like amber, packed in white bags. “Currently, the police is carrying out a detailed review of seized amber, some samples are already sent for examination," said the head of Ministry of Internal Affairs Ukraine in Rivne region Serhiy Maksimov.
Minister of Internal Affairs Arsen Avakov commented on his Facebook, that the record-breaking 2.5 tons, valued at $3 mln, were prepared for illegal foreign traffic.
He stressed that this seizure of amber is the result of a large operation prepared by MIA and the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine, which fight against the largest criminal group that operated in Rivne and parasitized on the illegal extraction of amber.
All the amber removed will be inventoried and publicly returned to state coffers.
This is not the first case of illegal amber traffic; three days ago Ukrainian border guards detained 150 kilograms of amber nearly on the border with Poland.
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case